Police are investigating a death threat against JK Rowling (Picture: AFP via Getty Images)
JK Rowling has received a public message of support from Warner Bros. after the author received a death threat online.
The Harry Potter author made a public plea for Twitter to take action after she received an online threat after fellow writer Sir Salmon Rushdie was stabbed at an event in New York.
Sir Salmon, 75, was stabbed on stage at the Chautauqua Institution on Friday, leaving him on a ventilator.
Hours after the news broke, Rowling, 57, tweeted a message of support for the author writing: ‘Horrifying news. Feeling very sick right now. Let him be ok.’
A man responded to her: ‘Don’t worry, you’re next.’
A spokesperson for Warner Bros. Discovery, the studio behind the blockbuster film adaptations, has now released a statement, saying: ‘We stand with her and all the authors, storytellers and creators who bravely express their creativity and opinions.
Rowling thanked fans for backing her (Picture: @jk_rowling, Twitter)
‘WBD believes in freedom of expression, peaceful discourse and supporting those who offer their views in the public arena.’
They added to PA: ‘Our thoughts are with Sir Salman Rushdie and his family following the senseless act of violence in New York.
‘The company strongly condemns any form of threat, violence or intimidation when opinions, beliefs and thoughts might differ.’
Scotland police have also confirmed they are investigating the death threat.
A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: ‘We have received a report of an online threat being made and officers are carrying out enquiries.’
Rowling, who shared a screenshot of the tweet on her Twitter account, had earlier confirmed she was cooperating with the authorities.
Sir Salman Rushdie was placed on a ventilator after stabbing in New York (Picture: PA)
Rowling has now received support from Harry Potter movie studio Warner Bros. Discovery (Picture: Rex Features)
‘To all sending supportive messages: thank you. Police are involved (were already involved on other threats),’ she told her followers.
Sir Salman has previously received death threats after his controversial book, The Satanic Verses, was released in 1988.
Following the attack, his book agent, Andrew Wylie, said the author ‘will likely lose one eye; the nerves in his arm were severed; and his liver was stabbed and damaged’. The writer was stabbed at least once in the neck and once in the abdomen, according to police officials, before he was taken to hospital.
British-American writer Aatish Taseer has since tweeted saying the author was ‘talking and joking’, before deleting the post.
However, the news has now been confirmed by Wylie.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.
MORE : JK Rowling working with police after receiving death threats in wake of Salman Rushdie stabbing
MORE : Jonathan Ross takes swipe at ‘boring’ BBC after Radio 2 Sachsgate scandal: ‘They don’t take risks anymore’